OK, let’s brainstorm … what lasts forever? Umm … I think we are supposed to say diamonds aren’t we? OK, but I’m guessing that is about it. The simple truth is that nothing lasts forever, and this is certainly true when talking about anything mechanical. When it comes to your home’s HVAC system, the average lifespan is 12-15 years or maybe longer if you have kept a strict maintenance schedule and…well, you get lucky.
So, depending on how old your system is, replacement is not a matter of if, but when. The key, of course, is knowing when that when has arrived. Make the move too soon, and you are throwing away months or even years of already-paid for service. Wait too long, and you are stuck making costly repairs or scrambling to install a new system at the worst time….. like the dead of winter or the dog days of summer.
Masters Heating & Cooling, your trusted Fort Wayne area HVAC specialist, is here to help and the first thing we want to stress is the importance of maintenance. Regular and proper maintenance of your HVAC equipment will ensure that it lasts as long as possible and operates as efficiently as possible. This will save you time, money and worry over the long run. Call us today to find out about our Energy Savings Agreement. With our ESA, you will receive annual furnace and air conditioner inspections and tune-ups, priority service and super discounts on parts and labor. And don’t forget to change your air filters regularly.
In the meantime, here are a few of the problems you should keep an eye out for if your system is getting up there in years:
- Your system is frequently running. This could mean thermostat issues, or it could be your old system just struggling to keep up.
- High utility bills. See above…the more your system runs, the more energy it consumes. Plus, older systems just use more energy, plain and simple.
- Lack of airflow. Your old system probably does not push the air out with as much force as it once did. Also, while your system’s ductwork will generally have a longer lifespan than the furnace or A/C, it will still get worn out and leaky over time. All of this contributes to decreased air flow and inefficient operation.
- Noisy furnace. Rumble, creaks and clatters during operation are not normal and could indicate mechanical issues or other operating malfunctions/failures.
- The furnace won’t heat, and the A/C won’t cool. Obviously, if the equipment is not delivering on its basic function, something is wrong. It could be refrigerant, blower, burner or any one of a dozen other issues, but these problems become more commonplace the older the system gets.
If your system is showing any of the above symptoms, your when may be right now. If so, call us today to take advantage of our big Carrier air conditioner and furnace promotion. For a limited time, you can have one of our top-of-the-line systems installed for as low as $74 per month*. Flexible payment plans and financing options are available, and these systems come with comprehensive warranties, so there is no time like the present. Remember: Masters gets there faster! Like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter.