OK, we all agree that keeping our homes cool in the summer and warm in the winter are good things and we have no desire to live without them, right? We also know that it is not cheap to foot the bill for those cooling and heating system repairs that keep our homes climate-controlled throughout the year. But, did you ever stop and think just how much of an impact your heating and cooling costs have on your overall energy bill? Well, now that you asked … the Energy Information Administration reports that the average monthly energy bill in 2017 was $111.67 and the U.S. Department of Energy says that nearly one-half of all energy bills come from heating and cooling costs. Of course, how much you spend depends on the state you live in, the climate you live in and the size of your home, but you get the picture: heating and cooling is the big guzzler when it comes to energy consumption.
REDUCING YOUR UTILITY BILL
Your friends at Masters Heating & Cooling Inc. know that keeping your home climate-controlled while maintaining and servicing your HVAC equipment is not cheap or easy. In addition, the major appliances in your home such as the refrigerator, washer and dryer etc., also contribute to an escalating utility bill. That’s why we want to pass along a few energy savings and efficiency tips that may reduce that monthly sticker shock.
- Install a programmable thermostat. This will allow you to regulate the temperature at different times of the day when no one’s home or heating/cooling is not needed.
- Close curtains and blinds during the summer months and open them during sunny days in the winter. Heat from sunlight makes a big difference in either direction.
- Make sure the attic and walls in your home are properly insulated.
- Keep up on maintenance. Changing air filters and scheduling regular maintenance will help keep your heating and cooling system running correctly and efficiently.
- Turn the temperature down a few degrees on your refrigerator and freezer and make sure it doesn’t receive direct sunlight.
- Monitor your washer/dryer and dishwasher usage and make sure: loads are full and use the cold water setting whenever you can.
HEATING SYSTEM REPAIR
Masters wants all of our customers to know that regular maintenance is the best way to get the most out of your heating and cooling system. But if you find yourself shivering a bit this winter, don’t wait to call our professionally-licensed technicians for a thorough inspection and repair of your system. Ask about our Energy Savings Agreement maintenance plan- we service and repair all makes and models. And if your furnace is nearing the end of its lifespan, we offer a full line of Carrier options. Call or visit us today at one of our locations in Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, Greenwood and Mishawaka, IN.