We can all agree that the last thing we need to start acting up during a blustery March day in Indiana is our home’s furnace. Unfortunately, while your furnace is built to provide decades of quality service, it can and will break down or quit working for good. Here at Masters Heating & Cooling Inc., our professionally-licensed HVAC technicians are the best in the business at service, maintenance and installation of heating systems including heating replacement. Here are eight warning signs that your furnace may need attention:
- Yellow burner flame. Take immediate action if you see that your burner flame is yellow or flickering instead of a bright, strong blue. This may be a sign that your burner is operating incorrectly and producing poisonous carbon monoxide. Call the pros at Masters immediately and leave the home if you suspect you or other family members are experiencing CO poisoning symptoms (nausea, headaches, etc.).
- Suspect thermostat. Are some rooms cold, while others hot? Do you have to constantly adjust your thermostat to get the right temperature? If you answered yes to either or both of these questions, it might be a sign of a thermostat going bad. Check the batteries/fuses and make sure the unit is getting the correct power. Compare the temperature on the thermostat with the temperature on a thermometer placed next to it, if you see a big discrepancy, that thermostat made need to be replaced.
- Low humidity/dust. Does your skin feel dry and itchy? How about static shock allergies…. are you and your family getting zapped frequently? These are symptoms of low humidity in your home, an issue that can be resolved with a whole home humidifier. Another problem with a potentially easy fix is accumulations of dust or other air pollutants. Inspecting and changing your air filters can help reduce this and a ductwork cleaning may also be in order.
- Weird noises. Bumps, bangs or clanks in the night are surefire signs that something in your heating system needs repair. There could be a number of reasons for this – fan motor, etc. – and the best bet is to have a licensed technician diagnose it.
- Furnace is over 15 years old. The life expectancy for your furnace depends on the model and other factors, but it’s usually 10-15 years. If your furnace is over 15 years old, keep an eye out for signs it may be failing, such as….
- Mounting repair bills. If you have had significant repair work done on your furnace in the past few years, your furnace could be ready to call it quits; most repairs occur during the final two years of a furnace’s lifespan.
- Rising utility bills. Utility bills that start to increase despite no change in usage can mean your system simply can’t keep up any longer. Older furnaces lose their efficiency quickly and replacing them with newer furnaces will save on energy bills in the long run.
- CO poisoning symptoms. We talked about this in the repairs section, but are adding it to the replacement section because of its importance. If anyone in your family experiences nausea, headaches or other flu-like symptoms and you suspect CO poisoning, air out your home and call utility technicians and the HVAC pros at Masters. We will be able to quickly determine if your furnace can be repaired or needs replacement.
40 YEARS & COUNTING.
Masters is proud of our commitment to the Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, Greenwood, and Mishawaka, IN communities and have 40 years of service under our belts to prove it. Don’t hesitate to call us today for any HVAC issues, big or small!