Earth Day 2020 – a worldwide date for the people of the Earth to focus on preserving our environment – is set for April 22. This year’s event is significant because it marks the 50th anniversary of the first Earth Day, which was held on April 22, 1970. Twenty million Americans – According to eathday.org, organized protests against environmental ignorance. The first Earth Day is widely recognized as the birth of the modern environmental movement and has evolved into the planet’s largest civic event.
The theme for this year’s Earth Day is Climate Action. For the HVAC industry, this means focusing more than ever on how our heating and cooling equipment can lessen its environmental footprint. Masters Heating & Cooling is committed to informing our customers of the latest technology in environmentally friendly HVAC systems. Using the following criteria – energy efficiency, water conservation and reduced carbon footprint – here are a few ways the HVAC industry is doing its part to protect our environment:
- Geothermal Heat Pumps. This technology is not new, but it is gaining popularity. Geothermal systems work by draining energy from the earth, making it energy-efficient and eco-friendly.
- Thermally Driven Air Conditioning. This technology has been developed in Australia and uses solar panels for a power source instead of electricity. The backup power source is natural gas, which is also more efficient than electricity.
- Energy Analysis Software. This allows HVAC professionals to project the most energy-efficient and environmentally friendly system for a specific area before it is installed.
EARTH DAY HOME
While making your home’s HVAC system as eco-friendly as possible is important, there are other ways you can contribute around your home. Here are some eco-friendly home products to help celebrate Earth Day with:
- Green Works Cleaning Products. From the makers of Clorox, these products are organic-based and come packaged in biodegradable materials.
- Environment Furniture. This design company makes all of its furniture – from bed sets to desks and more – from recycled, reclaimed and sustainably harvested woods.
- ShowerStart Evolve Showerhead. This fixture sets a timer for you, making your shower a money saver and water conserver.
- Ecoegg Laundry Egg. This egg-shaped product contains two pellets that separate and remove dirt from fabric, lasts for more than 700 washes and contains no harsh chemicals.
- Reusable Grocery Bags. Each year, we use an estimated 500 billion-plus plastic bags. Reusable grocery bags can go a long way to reducing this unnecessary waste. Plus, some stores offer incentives for using reusable bags.
EARTH DAY TAX INCENTIVES
There are also some tax incentives available when certain qualified eco-friendly HVAC equipment is purchased.
- Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit. A tax credit for 10 percent of the amount paid for this equipment, including insulation, windows, high-efficiency heating and cooling systems, as well as high-efficiency water heaters.
- Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit. Qualified energy efficient improvements to your home may be entitled to a tax credit of 26% of the cost. Qualified improvements include: solar electric, solar water heating, small wind energy, geothermal heat pump, and fuel cell property equipment and may include labor, assembly, original installation as well as piping or wiring. An added incentive is that the credit is not restricted to your main home.
Call Masters today to learn more about our environmentally friendly, high-efficiency HVAC equipment and whether these investments are available for tax credits. Or you can stop by one of our locations in Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, Greenwood and Mishawaka, IN.