Another wonderful Midwest spring will come to a close before too long and this means summer is not far behind. So, your friends at Masters Heating & Cooling – which is readying for its 41st summer of servicing the HVAC needs of the Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, Greenwood and Mishawaka, IN communities – want to make sure that your home’s air conditioner is ready for duty. The good news is, you can handle some of the maintenance yourself. Here are a few tips aimed at keeping your air conditioner in tip-top shape.
AIR CONDITIONING MAINTENANCE
- Change Air Filters. Repeat after me: changing air filters is the easiest, most effective self-maintenance thing you can do for your system. Dirty, clogged air filters restrict normal airflow in your system and can lead to additional dirt buildup on coils. Replacing air filters can improve your system’s efficiency by up to 15 percent.
- Clean Evaporator Coils. While air filters reduce the amount of quick dirt buildup, the system’s evaporator and condenser coils will over time become soiled. This will hamper the coils’ ability to absorb heat and reduce its efficiency. You can help by keeping the area around the outdoor condenser clean and free of debris
- Clear Condensate Drains. A clean condensate drain helps your system rescue humidity and a clogged drain may result in leaking and water damage. If it is easily accessible, run a wire through it as far as possible to clear any possible blockage.
Of course, you can call our professionally licensed HVAC technicians for a complete system inspection and tune-up. Here is a general checklist for HVAC technicians to consult when inspecting or tuning up your system:
- Check refrigerant level and make sure there are no refrigerant leaks
- Inspect/check system ductwork for leakage; seal if necessary
- Measure airflow through the evaporator coil; clean if necessary
- Check the operation and accuracy of the thermostat
- Inspect electrical connections for fraying and tight/secure connections
- Inspect/change air filters
- Inspect moving mechanical parts
- Check/clean drain lines and drain pans
MASTERS GETS THERE FASTER
We also guarantee our customers that we will do our due diligence and provide the most thorough, professional service possible. We say this because sadly, some vendors cut corners on their services in order to cut costs. Not Masters. You can count us all the time, every time. You can also count on us to schedule your seasonal HVAC maintenance with our Energy Savings Agreement (ESA). ESA membership will keep your maintenance on schedule, with benefits that include annual furnace and air conditioner tune ups, priority service and discounts on parts and labor. Call today to find out more and stay in touch on social media!