Now that summer is here, chances are your home’s air conditioner has likely sprung into action. Hopefully, it is purring like a kitten and keeping your home cool and climate controlled. However, if it is not, you may want to take the necessary steps to either repair it or replace it. The first step should be calling Masters Heating & Cooling for a system checkup. Our licensed professionals will give your system a once-over and diagnose any problems. In the meantime, be vigilant: here are some sure-fire signs your system may need an AC replacement.
TIME TO REPLACE YOUR AIR CONDITIONER
- Age of Your AC. Most air conditioners will last at least 15 years if they are properly maintained. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule and some systems may show signs of breaking down before then. Keep a close watch on the frequency of repairs on your aging system.
- Your System Uses R-22 Refrigerant. Beginning earlier this year, the production of R-22 was banned by the Environmental Protection Agency. This means the availability of the refrigerant used to charge most systems 10 years or older is being phased out and hard to obtain. So, the cost to service these systems is going up by the day. Eventually, you will have to turn to a newer system that uses R410A refrigerant; if you are having issues with your older system, that time may be right now.
- Inefficient Operation. Older systems have a lower SEER rating, so that means they are less efficient and consume more energy, leading to higher utility bills. Newer systems have a minimum SEER rating of 13, so if your older system’s rating is lower, you may see immediate utility bill savings with a new system.
- Lack of Airflow. If the air coming from your vents is trickling instead of blowing, it could be a sign of clogged ducts or it could signal that your air conditioner’s compressor is dying.
- Mounting Repairs/Breakdowns. Do you have your HVAC technician’s phone number on speed dial? Does it seem like every time you turn around, you get a bill for an expensive air conditioner repair? Has an AC breakdown left you sweating it out more times than you care to admit? These are all signs that your system probably needs to be replaced.
- Lack of Comfort. The main job of your air conditioner is to keep your home comfortable during the hot, humid days of summer. If it is struggling to do that or has to run constantly to keep the temperature where you want, it is time to consider replacement.
Masters knows that replacing your air conditioner is a major financial decision and we are happy to help you make the right one. Call us today to schedule a system inspection/analysis. Our licensed professionals will quickly determine the status of your air conditioner and whether it needs replacing. If it does, Masters offers a full line of Carrier air equipment for installation. If all you need is some repairs for now, we can handle that too – we service all makes and models. Call us today…Masters gets there faster!