The best way to keep your house cool during the hot summer months in the Fort Wayne, Decatur, Greenwood, Angola, Mishawaka and Indianapolis areas is easy enough: lower the thermostat. Unfortunately, while that may be the easiest way, it is no doubt the most expensive way. If you are like me, I like to crank it down, but don’t want to pay the big electric bill.
Here at Masters Heating & Cooling, we know our customers are constantly looking for cost-effective ways to keep their homes cool without racking up a big energy bill. The good news is there are many smart, inexpensive and easy-to-do tips for keeping it cool in your home. Check these cool ideas out:
- KEEP THE SUN OUT. The simplest way to keep heat from getting in your home is to block out the windows. Keep your shades drawn from late morning to early evening. This simple chore can help reduce the temperature in your home 10-15 degrees during the day.
- KNOW YOUR CEILING FANS. Fact: ceiling fans do not cool the air temperature. But they do help cool your body when the air they circulate washes over you. Set them to turn counter-clockwise (to the right) and don’t forget to turn them off when you are not in the room.
- UNPLUG IT. All electrical appliances put off heat when they are plugged in, so unplug all unnecessary appliances when not in use.
- MINIMIZES STOVE USE. During the summer months, it is wise to pre-cook meals, using the stove only at night. Or better yet, don’t use it at all and fire up the outdoor grill.
- PLANT SHADE. This takes a while before you can reap the benefits, but planting trees or bushes in strategic spots around your house will provide cooling shade.
- WINDOWS, DOORS & INSULATION. Make sure your windows and doors seal tight and are energy-efficient. Check insulation in your attic and make sure you have the proper amount.
Of course, a great way to make sure your home stays as cool as possible is to maintain your cooling system, so it runs as efficiently as possible. Change your filters and have the professionally-licensed HVAC technicians at Masters perform thorough and regular checkups and tune-ups to clean your A/C coils and keep the cool air coming. And, in the event it is time for a system replacement, we are there for you with a complete line of Carrier products. Stay cool, my friends!