How To Know If My Air Conditioner Needs Servicing?
Masters is asked all the time, why is seasonal maintenance important for air conditioners? Shouldn’t it just be obvious when a system needs servicing? Afterall:
- If your car starts belching black smoke, you might have a problem.
- If sparks start flying when you turn on a light switch, you might have a problem.
- If the garage door won’t open when you hit the clicker, you might have a problem.
Unfortunately, warnings you need air conditioning service in your Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, Greenwood, or Mishawaka, IN home may or may not be quite as obvious. Here’s a closer look at some indications that it’s time to call Masters Heating & Cooling for seasonal maintenance.
If the system is having trouble reaching the desired temperature set on the thermostat, check the air coming out of the vents. If it’s not cool or cold to the touch, there’s a problem.
Now look at the thermostat to confirm that you’ve set it correctly and it’s working properly. If all appears normal, then call for help. Rarely is there anything the homeowner can do in this situation.
System Freezes Up
This is a common problem with air conditioners. If you see ice on the cooling coil or refrigerant lines, it requires a call to Masters. This condition is most often caused by low refrigerant level or poor airflow which is often the result of a dirty or clogged filter.
If the air coming out of the vents feels cool, but there’s not much airflow, the first thing to suspect is a dirty filter. The filter can clog if it’s not replaced at least every three months. If the filter is in good shape the airflow problem could be related to a worn-out compressor or significant leaks in the ductwork. Either problem is going to require air conditioning service.
High Utility Bills
If you’ve lived in your Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, Greenwood, or Mishawaka, IN home for very long, you have a pretty good idea what a normal monthly bill is during the air condition season. If the electricity bills have gradually gotten higher or there has been a sudden spike, your air conditioner is no longer working efficiently meaning you need seasonal maintenance.
Odd Sounds & Smells
I admit in some cases these can be obvious warning signs, but others not so much.
- If you can detect a musty odor when the AC is running it could mean a problem with mold.
- Electrical smells might be coming from loose or corroded electrical connections.
- A squealing noise, especially on older air conditioners, could indicate a loose or worn drive belt.
- Grinding sounds can come from bad bearings in the motor.
Here’s the good news. Just about all of those problems can be prevented with regular seasonal maintenance, meaning you won’t even have a chance to notice the strange sounds and smells.
Make the Call Now
The summer cooling season in Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, Greenwood, and Mishawaka, IN is just starting. Now is a great time to call Masters Heating & Cooling to schedule your air conditioning service. Be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more great HVAC information.
Why Choose Masters Heating & Cooling?
Northeast Indiana's HVAC & Plumbing Experts
- Licensed, insured & NATE-certified technicians
- Carrier Customer Specialist with experience servicing all brands
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront pricing & financing options
- Background-checked technicians
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Serving Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Greenwood & Indianapolis