Everything You Need To Know About Carbon Monoxide Alarms
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a tasteless, colorless and odorless gas and is very dangerous when it builds up in enclosed spaces. Carbon monoxide alarms are designed to detect the presence of CO and alert people when levels become critical.
What You Should Know About Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Purpose: The primary purpose of the alarm is to detect dangerous levels of CO in the home and alert the occupants to its presence.
- Placement: Carbon monoxide alarms should be placed in areas where people sleep to ensure they will be heard if an alarm sounds in the middle of the night. They should also be placed on each floor of the home and near any potential sources of CO, such as furnaces, water heaters and fireplaces.
- Types: There are two main types of carbon monoxide alarms: battery-operated and hardwired. Battery-operated alarms are portable and easy to install, but batteries need to be regularly replaced. Hardwired alarms are wired directly into a home’s electrical system and do not require batteries.
- Maintenance: To ensure they work when needed, they should be tested regularly. Batteries should be replaced at least annually, and the alarms should be cleaned periodically to remove any dust or debris that may interfere with their operation.
- Limitations: Carbon monoxide alarms are not foolproof. They may not detect CO in all situations. For example, a blocked chimney or a malfunctioning appliance may cause CO to build up in a room, but the alarm may not detect it if it is not located close enough to the source.
It is important to remember that a CO detector is a safety device and not a substitute for proper use and maintenance of fuel-burning appliances and chimneys. To further reduce the risk of CO exposure, it’s very important to have your heating systems properly cleaned and maintained by professional HVAC technicians such as Masters Heating & Cooling.
Why Choose Masters Heating & Cooling?
Northeast Indiana's HVAC & Plumbing Experts
- Licensed, insured & NATE-certified technicians
- Carrier Customer Specialist with experience servicing all brands
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront pricing & financing options
- Background-checked technicians
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Serving Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Greenwood & Indianapolis