Knowing When To Change Your Filters
The majority of maintenance and upkeep of your home’s HVAC system should be left to professionally-licensed heating and cooling technicians , but there is one very important thing homeowners can do themselves to keep their systems healthy: change the air filters regularly. It’s easy to do and really does help promote system efficiency and indoor air quality.
That said, just how often is regularly? Well, the answer to that question depends on a variety of things, such as what type of climate/environment you are living in and what kind of filters you use.
Typical recommendations say you should change cheaper fiberglass filters every 30 days, while more effective pleated filters can be switched out every 90 days. Here are a few questions the professionals at Masters Heating & Cooling suggest you ask yourself to help determine if you should change your filters more often:
- Do you live in an environment that is dusty or with poor air quality? If so, more dust likely gets into your home and is trapped by your air conditioning and furnace filters, and they should be changed more frequently.
- Do you have pets? Pet dander and odors cause more wear on your filters, and they should be changed at least every few months.
- Does anyone in your home suffer from allergies or respiratory issues such as asthma? If so, they are affected much more by poor indoor air quality; change the filters every six weeks or sooner.
- How often does your system run? If you live in a mild or temperate climate, your system may only run an hour or two each day or not at all, thereby prolonging the life of your filters . But, if you live in a climate that requires your system to run on a near-continuous basis, you may want to change your filter every two or three weeks.
Of course, an old-fashioned visual inspection is always good. Every few weeks, take out your filter and inspect them. A small coating of dust, with the fibers of the filter still visible means it is still OK. Anything beyond that though, with the layer of dust so thick that it covers the filter completely, means it is time to change the filter . The good news is that filters are fairly inexpensive to replace, and the small cost will help to keep your system running efficiently and can save you money on energy bills.
Regular maintenance will ensure that filters are properly changed, and this is where Masters can really help out. Our Energy Savings Agreement lets us handle all the maintenance scheduling, so you don’t have to. It includes annual air conditioner and furnace tune-ups, priority service and discounts on parts and labor. Call Masters today for more information!
Why Choose Masters Heating & Cooling?
Northeast Indiana's HVAC & Plumbing Experts
- Licensed, insured & NATE-certified technicians
- Carrier Customer Specialist with experience servicing all brands
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront pricing & financing options
- Background-checked technicians
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Serving Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Greenwood & Indianapolis