If you’re like most people you are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the speed of technological advances. One example is what used to be the simple mechanical thermostat on the wall controlling your heating and cooling systems. It has been replaced by electrical thermostats, programmable thermostats, and now smart thermostats. Masters Heating & Cooling can help you decide what’s best for you.
Except for older homes these are no longer mechanical devices. Even manual thermostats are electrical with digital displays. Here’s what you need to know:
- Manual are being installed in fewer and fewer homes
- They are affordable and easy to operate with a single temperature setting
- This type of system does not save energy UNLESS you are diligent about changing the temperature setting at night or when you leave to go to work
These allow you to set up a schedule for several days. Once you program the thermostat based on your schedule, the system will adjust the temperature setting on its own. This gives you significant advantages over a manual system.
- It can turn the temperature up or down when you leave for work in the morning
- The schedule can be set to change temperature before you come back home to make the house comfortable when you arrive
- Most can switch automatically between heating & cooling
- Used correctly, programmable thermostats can cut energy usage significantly
Wi-Fi or smart thermostats
You get all the benefits of a programmable thermostat with one big addition. These can be connected to your home Wi-Fi network meaning you can control your heating and cooling systems from literally anywhere using your mobile device.
- Kids get out of school early? Use your smartphone to change the setting so the house is comfortable when they get home
- Left home in a hurry to start your vacation and forgot to change the thermostat? No problem
- Stormy weather hits while you’re away from home? Check on the status of the system no matter where you are
The latest wrinkle in the technology is the Wi-Fi thermostat with smart technology. The system “learns” things based on your schedule and your environment. Smart thermostats can factor in the local weather forecast and use sensors to learn your temperature preferences. As it gathers information it uses computer algorithms to create a heating and cooling schedule. In short, the smart thermostat programs itself.
Determine what’s best for you
Masters Heating & Cooling can help determine what is the right thermostat to help you save money and make your home more comfortable. We’re proud to feature models by Carrier and Honeywell, two of the most respected names in the business. Carrier has a complete line of systems matched to the company’s long list of heating and cooling products. Honeywell has long been a pioneer in systems control and offers multiple choices to fit every system and every budget.