Furnace Maintenance Precautions
You have heard Masters Heating & Cooling preaching about it forever: Furnace maintenance is absolutely necessary. Our concern is that some people seem to equate furnace maintenance with changing the oil or air filter in their car. Don’t misunderstand, what HVAC technicians do isn’t rocket science but it does take years of training and experience to do it well.
Common Sense Precautions
If you insist on trying, let’s talk about some of the do’s and don’ts when it comes to DIY work on on the furnace in your Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, or Greenwood, IN home:
- DO CHANGE FILTERS— This is something Masters always encourages our clients to do on their own. It’s a simple process. Just make sure you note the airflow direction on the filter to make sure it’s installed correctly. NOTE: If you notice unusual conditions, the filter is very dirty or wet, it’s a good idea to call in a technician to find out why.
- DO CHECK THE THERMOSTAT— Remember, the thermostat controls the system. Turn the heat up a couple of degrees and make sure the furnace turns on and runs normally until the target temperature is reached. This normally takes about 10 to 15 minutes. If the furnace doesn’t turn on or shuts off before the temperature is reached it could be a bad thermostat or a host of other problems.
- DON’T START RIPPING THINGS APART— Unless you truly have HVAC diagnostic skills, solving a furnace problem is like looking for a needle in a haystack for the typical do-it-yourselfer . The end result is often creating more problems for the professional furnace maintenance person who needs to come in and put things back together.
- DON’T TAKE CHANCES— Furnace maintenance means working on 220 volt electrical circuits, dealing with explosive natural gas or propane, and the potential of carbon monoxide poisoning if you make a mistake. The number one precaution to follow at all times is don’t attempt any work you are not qualified to perform.
- DO PROVIDE A CLEAN ENVIRONMENT— Keeping the area around your furnace clean and clear of clutter is a great project for the DIY ers in the home. Keeping a furnace clean will help keep it running longer. NOTE: This also applies to the outside compressor for a heat pump or air conditioner. Keep it free from dirt and debris and keep all vegetation trimmed to promote air circulation.
Get It Done Right The 1st Time, Every Time
Ultimately, doesn’t it make more sense to call Masters Heating & Cooling for your furnace maintenance and repair needs? Having a certified and trained technician do the job means it will be done right the first time. Additionally, Masters stands behind the work with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. To learn more about the services we offer for homeowners in Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, and Greenwood, IN be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter .
Why Choose Masters Heating & Cooling?
Northeast Indiana's HVAC & Plumbing Experts
- Licensed, insured & NATE-certified technicians
- Carrier Customer Specialist with experience servicing all brands
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront pricing & financing options
- Background-checked technicians
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Serving Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Greenwood & Indianapolis