Why Is There Sink Water Draining Into My Dishwasher?
Your home’s plumbing system should feature a standard kitchen sink and dishwasher design that enables the two to interact seamlessly. Sometimes, though, a clogged drain or other operation issue may result in water from the sink draining into the dishwasher. This could lead to some plumbing issues, most notably an overflow/leak from the dishwasher. It is also a health hazard, so you want to take care of this problem pronto. Masters Heating & Cooling Inc offers full plumbing services and we suggest you give us a call and let our certified plumbing technicians take care of the issue. In the meantime, there are a few possible causes for dishwater leaking into the dishwasher.
Dishwasher Drain Issues
- Hose Loop Too Low. The hose may be installed incorrectly or overtime it has shifted lower or been pulled lower. Normally, the dishwasher drain hose loops up to a higher point than the sink, but if it is lower, this will cause the hose to have a lower center of gravity than the sink, which can allow sink water to drain into the dishwasher.
- Clogged Drain Line. Sometimes, the water you think is draining from the sink into the dishwasher is just the dishwasher water backing up. This can be caused by food debris, grease, etc. that is washed off dishes and clogs the drain when it is discharged. Check the strainer at the bottom of the dishwasher and see if it is clogged at the entry point, too.
Clogged Kitchen Drain
It is simply amazing the number of things that are sent down the dishwasher drain or through the garbage disposal that should not be. Such things as bones, paper and grease can quickly cause a clogged drain. And even some things that are OK – such as food scraps, etc. can cause blockages over time. When the drain is clogged, pressure in the pipe can cause water to back up into the dishwasher. To alleviate this problem, you can try and remove the P-trap underneath the sink and clean out the gunk. Don’t forget to put a water bucket under the pipe first!
Garbage Disposal Issues
Your garbage disposal can create a few issues that cause water to back up into the dishwasher. Like we said above, improper items flushed down the garbage disposal chute can clog the disposal and cause a backup. Improper installation can also be the culprit. If the installer failed to remove the plug in the disposal port where the dishwasher drain line is connected, that will certainly cause a backup. If you remove the dishwasher hose from the side of the disposal, you can check to see if the port is clear.
Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, Greenwood, Mishawaka, In. Plumbers
Of course, if you want to make sure the job is done right by licensed professionals, give Masters a call today. We offer a full range of plumbing services from clogged drains to water heater sales/service. And don’t forget to check in with us on social media.
Why Choose Masters Heating & Cooling?
Northeast Indiana's HVAC & Plumbing Experts
- Licensed, insured & NATE-certified technicians
- Carrier Customer Specialist with experience servicing all brands
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront pricing & financing options
- Background-checked technicians
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Serving Fort Wayne, Decatur, Greenwood & Indianapolis