How To Make My Air Conditioner Stop Smelling Bad?
There’s nothing worse than a funky smell inside your home and not being able to find out where it’s coming from. So, if after searching every nook and cranny of your home you determine it has to be coming from the air vents, you may feel some relief. But not so fast, an odor coming from your air conditioner system could be troublesome as well.
Air Conditioner Odors
If you are noticing an odor emanating from your home’s HVAC system, it is likely caused by one of these factors: mold/mildew or a deceased animal that expired in your system’s ductwork. Not only are these issues causing an unpleasant odor, but they are also impacting your indoor air quality and can become health hazards.
Mold and mildew in your HVAC system is most generally the result of:
- High Humidity. High humidity levels in your home – especially during the muggy summer months – can lead to moisture issues. Also causing increases in your humidity levels are shower usage and water-using appliances.
- Condensation. When your HVAC system operates, it is also removing moisture from the air. During normal operation, this condensation is removed via the condensate line. But if the line becomes clogged, it can lead to a moisture backup in the system.
- Poor Ventilation. This generally applies to bathrooms and laundry rooms, which need to be properly vented to allow steam to escape the home. If the ventilation is poor, stagnant pockets of moist air can cause problems.
What To Do
Here are some ways you can eliminate air conditioner odors and help prevent them from recurring:
For Mold/Mildew Issues:
- Whole Home Humidifiers. Humidifiers keep the humidity level where it should be year-round. This way you can ensure humidification is balanced in your home and you won’t have to resort to using a dehumidifier to combat mold or mildew build up.
- Air Purifiers. Media cleaner and ultraviolet cleaners will remove/eliminate mold, germs and other allergens from the indoor air.
For Animal Odors:
- Duct Inspection/Cleaning. Schedule a duct inspection/cleaning by a licensed HVAC professional. During the inspection, any animal carcasses can be detected and removed, as well as the normal dust and debris that can accumulate in ducts over time.
The best way to keep your HVAC system clean and devoid of issues that can lead to unpleasant odors is with regular maintenance.
- Change your air filters regularly. One of the easiest and most cost-effective ways you can help your system.
- Inspect drip pans and condensate lines. Keeping these clean and clear will help eliminate mold/mildew issues.
- Schedule maintenance with professionals. Here’s where your friends at Masters come in. Our licensed technicians will perform regular maintenance on your system, including inspections, analysis and repairs.
Call Masters today to learn about our Energy Savings Agreement. This maintenance plan takes the scheduling off your plate and will help ensure regular, professional maintenance. Plans include annual tune ups, priority service and discounts on parts and labor.
Why Choose Masters Heating & Cooling?
Northeast Indiana's HVAC & Plumbing Experts
- Licensed, insured & NATE-certified technicians
- Carrier Customer Specialist with experience servicing all brands
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront pricing & financing options
- Background-checked technicians
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Serving Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Greenwood & Indianapolis