10 Ways To Stop The Energy Bleeding This Summer
Is there anything that drains your bank account quicker than summer utility bills? Umm, well maybe a kid (or two) away at college, but other than that? Probably not. When the temperature goes up in the summer, you can practically watch the expenses ka-ching on the old cash register.
So, we are all interested in ways to cut those energy bills during the summer. We want to be comfortable, sure, but there are ways you can make subtle adjustments that will improve your energy efficiency over the summer and throughout the year. The first thing to do, of course, Is to call Masters Heating & Cooling and schedule an air conditioning tune-up . This should be done every spring and it will ensure your system is ready to go.
In addition, here’s a checklist of energy-efficiency tips:
- Program your thermostat. If you don’t have a programmable thermostat , you should seriously consider it….it will save you money. If you do, program the temperature a few degrees higher while you are away or asleep. Remember though, if you have indoor pets, don’t raise it too high! A Wi-Fi thermostat is also nice; you can adjust it on your way home!
- Lower your water heater thermostat. A few degrees can save you a lot of money and it will also prolong the life expectancy of the water heater . And, if your water heater is dated or having issues, check out our line of A.O. Smith and Rinnai water heaters .
- Use ceiling fans . They improve the airflow in your home, which improves your system’s cooling efficiency.
- Shade, shade and more shade. Creating shade in your home is a great way to keep it cool. Draw blinds and curtains inside and consider planting a tree or erecting a canopy outside to shade where the sun hits your home the most.
- Unplug devices/power strips when not in use . Even if you are not using these items, if they are plugged in they are still using power.
- Seal drafts and leaks . Use caulking or weather stripping around doors and windows. This will keep warm air from seeping in.
- Check your attic insulation . Many homes are not properly insulated and this is a quick way to waste energy. If you can see the tops of your ceiling joists, you need more insulation.
- Check filters and vents . Clogged or dirty filters greatly reduce your air conditioner efficiency . Check and replace often. Dryer vents also need to be checked and cleaned regularly.
- Upgrade your appliances . Replace old appliances such as refrigerators, dishwashers, etc. with Energy Star certified models.
- Switch to compact fluorescent bulbs . These bulbs last 8-12 times longer than normal incandescent bulbs and are more efficient.
For more information, or to schedule air conditioning service, repair or installation , call Masters today!
Why Choose Masters Heating & Cooling?
Northeast Indiana's HVAC & Plumbing Experts
- Licensed, insured & NATE-certified technicians
- Carrier Customer Specialist with experience servicing all brands
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront pricing & financing options
- Background-checked technicians
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Serving Fort Wayne, Decatur, Greenwood & Indianapolis