Your AC Unit vs. Your Thermostat
Do you have a good relationship with your thermostat? Masters Heating & Cooling sure hopes so otherwise you may not be getting the most out of the heating and air conditioning systems in your Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, Greenwood, or Mishawaka, IN home. Pretty much everyone knows the basic function of a thermostat: You set the desired temperature and when the temperature is reached the cooling or heating system shuts off. But are you truly aware of what other functions your thermostat has?
The thermostat also controls the fan on your HVAC system. Nearly every thermostat has two basic choices:
- Auto — On this setting, the fan stays on throughout the heating or cooling cycle. When the set temperature is reached the fan shuts off along with the furnace or air conditioning. This is generally the preferred setting because the fan uses less energy, and the motor and fan will last longer. However, no air circulates when fans are off and that can be a disadvantage.
- On — This is the other choice for fan function. When using this setting the fan runs continuously, even after the desired temperature is reached. This can help keep air more evenly distributed and eliminate hot & cold spots. Additionally, indoor air quality devices like UV filters and air filters continue to operate. Running the fan continuously will use more power meaning higher utility bills. During winter, the moving air can make the house feel cooler when the furnace is not on.
Many of today’s thermostats also have programmable functions to help save energy. You can create a temperature schedule based on when you leave home for work or school. Masters urges you to learn how to use those functions to maximize energy savings. Additionally, many thermostats are now Wi-Fi capable meaning you can connect them to the internet through your home network. This allows you to change settings using any mobile device.
Most of these thermostat advances have happened in the last 15-20 years and for people born and raised with manual thermostats, the modern programmable thermostats can be pretty confusing. Don’t be afraid to call Masters Heating & Cooling if you need help establishing a comfortable relationship with the thermostat in your Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Indianapolis, Greenwood, or Mishawaka, IN home. We are always here to help so be sure to check out our Facebook and Twitter accounts for more information.
Why Choose Masters Heating & Cooling?
Northeast Indiana's HVAC & Plumbing Experts
- Licensed, insured & NATE-certified technicians
- Carrier Customer Specialist with experience servicing all brands
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront pricing & financing options
- Background-checked technicians
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Serving Fort Wayne, Decatur, Angola, Greenwood & Indianapolis